English 101 with George Orwell (Big Brother's First Impression)

SOMEONE GIVE THIS MAN A COOKIE! George Orwell, honestly, understands the struggle of literally every English student in the world. We, as students, often struggle reading and comprehending certain excerpts and passages because of the language used and we often find ourselves asking, 'Why can't I understand this? What's wrong with me???"



But, in this essay, Orwell explains that it's often times not our fault we don't understand certain things after reading them. Turns out, written English is full of faults many writers haven't bothered to fix. One thing we discussed in class that came to mind right now was something a classmate said; sometimes, writers say things to make themselves seem smarter than they are, and instead of writing something that ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE, they simply confuse their readers and leave them with this face:

A few of the bad habits in written English that Orwell talks about in his essay are the following: meaningless words, dying metaphors, and pretentious diction. And in class, a couple of things we talked about were the staleness of imagery and the lack of precision. When we write, we often used words and phrases that are so hackneyed (*dab* I used a vocab word) that they completely lose their meaning. Does the word romantic even mean anything? What about the metaphor fishing in troubled waters? Seriously; WHAT EMOTION ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO ELICIT (*dab*) IN A READER? I'm about to go off a little bit. There is nothing in this world that bugs me more than pretentious diction. You know, when I read something pretentious and confusing I wonder, "Does the author of this even know what he/she was saying?" That's one of the reasons why I hate poetry; I feel like a lot of it is pretentious and I can't help but roll my eyes whenever I come across it. Anyway (I got sidetracked... sorry!), I wanna touch on what we discussed in class. Two faults in the English language are the staleness of imagery and the lack of precision. Authors and writers, in my opinion, focus so much on using huge twenty-syllable words and metaphors and foreign phrases and all that crap that it distracts from the point of the piece of writing. They also forget that readers are HUMAN BEINGS that often times struggle trying to make something out of pieces of writing that literally make no sense at all; readers feel like it's their fault for not being able to understand terrible English writing, when in reality, it's the fault of the writer. Writers need to step their game up and stop with all this pretentious, hackneyed, overly complicated BS and fix the bad habits that are killing written English.

Random thing that happened to me today; a girl in my pre-calc class complimented my makeup. It made me feel like a beauty guru (insert nail polish emoji here)

Sooooonnnnnggggg: What Do You Mean? by the one and only Justin Bieber

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fahrenheit 451: Questions I Should Be Able to Answer

What Am I Planning? 👀

An Appreciative Post