The Purple Heart for a Heart of Gold

I almost don't feel right posting this...

Most of my peers and friends don't know this, but my uncle is in the army. Growing up, he was like the brother I never had (and he still is, and always will be). I remember watching him play video games, watching him talk to his friends and play games on Facebook, and watching him do his homework and complete projects. Basically, all I'd do was watch him, and I'd admire him. I think that's mainly because I never really... had anyone to look up to as a child that wasn't another adult (he is only 6 years older than I am). I don't recall hearing him talk about enlisting in the army growing up. I found out he enlisted not too long before he left to Kentucky, and I don't even think I saw him and said goodbye the day he left.

I feel like this post will be all over the place, so I apologize for the lack of structure. I'm getting very emotional writing all this, but I need an outlet right now. I remember listening to music with him. We'd listen to rap; he was a big Eminem fan, and he enjoyed old school rap as well. We'd play Mario Kart on my crappy, broken Nintendo DS, and I'd watch him play GTA on my dad's PS2; I'd never miss it. I'd always ask him if he was going to play, and hearing him say yes never failed to make my day. Sometimes, he'd stay over at my house, and it would be LIT; I loved every moment of it. I like to think he enjoyed my presence as well, but I was a pretty annoying kid, not gonna lie.

I'm not the only person who adores my uncle. My dad and mom treat him as if he was their son. My mom would tell me stories about when they lived in Mexico; my mom would take care of him all the time while my grandmother worked, and when my mom and my dad started dating, my dad quickly grew fond of him. It's easy to see why; my uncle's charming, funny, and downright sweeter than the chocolates my dad would buy him before going on dates with my mom.

You're probably wondering what drove me to post this. I just found out a little while ago that my uncle Charly (that's what I called him as a kid) earned three military medals... and among those medals was the Purple Heart. It took my about three seconds to realize that he must've gotten wounded while on deployment... When I finally wrapped my head around that, I completely forgot about the other two medals. I miss him like crazy; often times, I choose not to think about it. He left when I was young and didn't understand what was happening. I didn't know I'd spend long periods of time without seeing him. My family and I would've never thought he'd get deployed somewhere so far away. And we would've never thought he'd earn the Purple Heart.

Doing homework will be hard tonight. I don't know how my uncle is doing, and I know I won't know anytime soon. I miss him. I want it to be December already, so I can see my brother...

Here are a few songs that we enjoyed and listened to together. Each song brings tears to my eyes, especially right now:

Toy Soldiers by Eminem
When I'm Gone by Eminem
The Crossroads by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony

Comments

  1. Hey Lesley,
    I enjoy stories and I loved reading this one you had to share. There are probably no words to describe what you must be feeling and what must be running in your head as you think about your uncle Charly miles away from you, but you must look at these memories you had with your brother and savor them until he comes back home because you shall await and look forward to creating even more memories when you two reunite. I can see that your family including yourself have a great relationship with Charly and it makes my heart melt to see such friendship and affection. It must feel like a long ways from December, but within a flash December will be around the corner! Do not mind the lack of structure because it is the imperfections that make this story that much better, and generally any story finer. You have clearly exemplified how we can use this blogging journey as an outlet and a way to express our thoughts. Plus, I know a thing or two about venting emotions and thoughts, and what bad can come from trying to keep it inside. So props to you for having the courage to share this with us. I hope all goes well in these upcoming months, and that Charly is swell and comes back home safely. Again, thank you for sharing and remember to STAY STRONG!
    Your Fellow Classmate,
    Katryna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow... I had no clue anyone would really read this post, and I had no clue it would have this effect on someone. Thank you so much... you really have no idea how much your comment meant to me. I'm sorta speechless, really. It teared me up a bit to see a comment as empowering as yours. It'll be hard, but I'll try to stay as strong as possible. And it's little things like this that'll make it so much easier. Thank you <3 <3 <3

      Delete
    2. I realized that words really can't describe how grateful I am for your comment, and I'll probably keep replying to it (low key, I don't know how to edit my first reply to add more. I'm a noob). These past few hours haven't been fun at all, and I've reread your comment at least five times now; it's the only thing that's made me smile tonight <3 Once again, thank you; words aren't enough to describe how thankful I am <3

      Delete
  2. Lol, anytime Lesley! We have competed together in our middle school years and we shall keep doing that to this day! There are always people who will be there for you no matter what...... do not stop believing in that. I am glad my comment has done you some good. And saaaaame! I am not sure and I am pretty tech savvy, but I do not believe you can edit a comment. But it works anyways.... you know just have a trail of continuous comments! Besides it is more FUN that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Hug is Nearly a Gun Spelled Backwards

Fahrenheit 451: Questions I Should Be Able to Answer

Vocabulary #5