To Kill A Mockingbird: My Response So Far...

For my second literary analysis, I decided to read the book To Kill A Mockingbird in Spanish (so technically, I'm reading Matar A Un Ruiseñor). I am nowhere NEAR finishing the book, but one of my "requests" for today was to post a response to the book I'm reading. So here it is.
     Fun fact; reading in Spanish helps me focus more when I read, and I don't know why. Maybe I should start reading in Spanish more often.
     I'll start off with the characters. The main family so far is the Finch family, which consists of father Atticus Finch and his son and daughter, Jem and Scout Finch. The family lives in Maycomb with their cook, Calpurnia. Atticus is a lawyer, and he taught Jem and Scout how to read, while Calpurnia taught them how to write. Something I learned quickly about Jem and Scout is that they are both very bright for their ages. A pretty strange family that appears in the first couple of chapters is the Radley family. Because of the Radleys' weird behavior, many people believe that their house is haunted and are terrified to go near it. When Jem and Scout start going to school, we get introduced to Scout's teacher, Ms. Caroline. She disapproves of Scout learning to read and write; there is some tension between them because of that, and Ms. Caroline requested that Atticus stop teaching Scout. A few seemingly minor characters (I don't know their importance yet; I still have a long way to go before I reach the halfway point of the story) are Dill Harris, Jem and Scout's friend; Walter Cunningham, a poor schoolboy who can't afford lunch; Atticus' siblings, Alexandra and a brother who's name hasn't been specified (I think); and Burris Ewell, son of Bob Ewell who was unemployed and poor.
     Plot-wise, not much has happened. During the first few chapters, we are introduced to many characters and Jem and Scout do a bunch of little things with Dill, such as go to the Radleys' house. The first conflict in the story is between Ms. Caroline and Scout over Scout's ability to read and write. This leads to Scout wanting to drop out of school, and Atticus convincing her that that was unnecessary. Other than that, I haven't really gotten much from the book, but I think it'll get more interesting and intense as the story goes on. 
     Because the book is in Spanish, I don't know if the English version of the book has some, like, interesting diction or syntax. I also find it hard to figure out the tone of the author and the overall theme. I'll write another post on this soon.

Storytime; today in band, our band director (the OG Ms. Quart) taught us horn moves to a song we play called Land of 1000 Dances. Basically, on top of playing this complicated ass song, we now have to dance along to it, which is fun, but not when you're playing high notes. I literally can't play at all sometimes because of all the movement going on. You guys will see soon if any of you happen to go to the football game on Friday. We're playing the Kitty Cats from across town! 

Sooooonnnnnggggg: Land of 1000 Dances by Wilson Pickett
     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hug is Nearly a Gun Spelled Backwards

Fahrenheit 451: Questions I Should Be Able to Answer

Vocabulary #5