Vocabulary #3 (ft. an Attempt at Using Jump Breaks)

1. catharsis: the processes of releasing and thereby providing relief from strong or repressed emotions
     Playing music and listening to music is a great catharsis for me.

2. taboo: a social or religious custom prohibiting or forbidding discussion of a particular practice or forbidding association with a particular person, place, or thing
     Growing up, my parents thought of Halloween as a taboo subject, and therefore never let my sisters and I dress up on that day.

3. sordid: arousing moral distaste and contempt
     The conditions during World War II were sordid and terrible.

4. swindle: use deception to deprive (someone) of money or possessions
     My sister swindled me out of my lunch money, and now I'm hungry (lol)

5. frivolous: not having any serious purpose or value
     The frivolous video by the other group earned them a passing grade.


6. inadvertently: without intention; accidentally
     I inadvertently dropped my trumpet in band class and dented the bell.

7. incendiary: designed to cause fires
     She was playing with an incendiary mixture in chemistry and set the classroom on fire; it was lit.

8. jargon: special words or expressions that are used by a particular profession or group and are difficult for others to understand
     The musical jargon I use with my friends from band is hard for other people to understand.

9. colloquialism: a word or phrase that is not formal or literary, typically one used in ordinary or familiar conversation
     The English teacher didn't like the amount of colloquialism in her essay; he wanted her writing to be more sophisticated.

10. archaism: a thing that is very old or old-fashioned
     Her archaic outfit attracted a lot of unwanted attention.

11. cudgel: a short, thick stick used as a weapon
     When I got asked to go to the homecoming dance, my dad stood behind me with a cudgel in his hand; he watched the boy like a hawk.

12. egregious: outstandingly bad, shocking
     The egregious presentation took up the entire class period.

13. anesthetize: deprive of feeling or awareness
     The medicine anesthetized me before the surgery.

14. euphonious: (of sound, especially speech) pleasing to the ear
     The sound of the cello is extremely euphonious to me.

15. scrupulous: (of a person or process) diligent, thorough, and extremely attentive to details
     She was the most scrupulous student in her class and she always turned in amazing work.

16. perverted: (of a thing) having been corrupted or distorted from its original course, meaning, or state
     The picture looked so perverted once it was doing being printed that it looked nothing like the original.

17. superfluous: unnecessary, especially through being more than enough
     The angry teacher gave a superfluous amount of homework to her students.

18. Saxon: a group of Germanic tribes first mentioned as living near the North Sea coast of what is now Germany (Old Saxony), in late Roman times
     The couple gave their baby an Angle-Saxon name.

19. slovenly: (especially of a person or action) careless; excessively casual
     Her slovenly speech wasn't taken seriously by most of the audience members.

20. provocation: action or speech that makes someone annoyed or angry, especially deliberately
     To avoid provocation at the rally, the candidate refused to talk about his opinions on the matter.

Ayyyyeeeee, I think I did the jump break thing right; I'm praying I did.

Sooooonnnnnggggg: California by Blink-182 (hopefully you guys [aka anyone who saw me today at school] can guess why ;p)
   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fahrenheit 451: Questions I Should Be Able to Answer

What Am I Planning? 👀

An Appreciative Post