Vocabulary #4

1. adroit: clever or skillful in using the hands or mind
     She was adroit at playing many instruments and quickly became an essential part of the band.

2. amicable: (of relations between people) having a spirit of friendliness; without serious disagreement or rancor
     Thankfully, the two girls solved their problem in an amicable way and didn't get in a fight in front of the teachers.

3. averse: having a strong dislike of or opposition to something
     Many students were averse to the schedule changing from the block schedule to the schedule we have now.

4. belligerent: hostile and aggressive
     My favorite character in the video game is the belligerent man from the auto dealership.

5. benevolent: well-meaning and kindly
     Even though I didn't know him, the guy at the bus stop gave me a benevolent smile and started talking to me.

6. cursory: hasty and therefore not thorough or detailed
     Our group took a cursory glance at the lab instructions and messed up the whole experiment.

7. duplicity: deceitfulness; double-dealing
     I recognized duplicity in the way he spoke to my friend.

8. extol: praise enthusiastically
     The judge extolled his solo at the competition.

9. feasible: possible to do easily or conveniently
     I finished the feasible project during lunch and was praised by my teacher.

10. grimace: an ugly, twisted expression on a person's face, typically expressing disgust, pain, or wry amusement
     I grimaced at the sight of my broken tooth at my appointment with the dentist.

11. holocaust: genocide in which Adolf Hitler's Nazi Germany and its collaborators killed about six million Jews
     There are about half a million Holocaust survivors, and all of them have different stories to tell about it.

12. impervious: not allowing fluid to pass through
     The impervious phone case made it easy to take pictures underwater.

13.impetus: the force of energy that makes something happen or happen more quickly
     Extra credit was the impetus to get her to go to the game.

14. jeopardy: danger of loss, harm, or failure
     Her grade was in jeopardy after she failed the final.

15. meticulous: showing great attention to detail
     The meticulous artist painted the top of the Sistine Chapel.

16. nostalgia: a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations
     I felt extremely nostalgic after my dad played the song Stellar by Incubus.

17. quintessence: the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class
     She was the quintessence of a good athlete and a good student.

18. retrogress: go back to an earlier state, typically a worse one
     Their band began to retrogress after their album only sold a few copies.

19. scrutinize: examine or inspect thoroughly or closely
     The teacher scrutinized the classroom to see where the ants were coming from.

20. tepid: showing little enthusiasm
     The tepid crowd was uninterested in the performance and wanted to hear Bernie Sanders speak.

Story time. I need a crown on one of my teeth and today, I went to get that tooth prepped for when I get my crown in two weeks. I layed in the chair with a million different intruments in my mouth while the dentist drilled away at my tooth and messed with my gum for an hour and a half. The amount of blood and stuff on the tray, my jacket, and the dentist's sleeves was ridiculous. I also wanted to punch my dentist in the face because the anesthesia was NOT helping at all. My dad bought me tamales afterwards, which made everything okay :p I'll need to take medicine for the pain, so if I fall asleep in class tomorrow, y'all know why cx
   
Sooooonnnnnggggg(sssss): Stellar by Incubus and White Teeth Teens by Lorde
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fahrenheit 451: Questions I Should Be Able to Answer

What Am I Planning? ๐Ÿ‘€

An Appreciative Post