Vocabulary #5



1. venomous: noxious, mischievous, malignant, or spiteful
      The substitute's venomous attitude sucked the life out of me this morning.

2. stolid: (of a person) calm, dependable, and showing little emotion or animation
     Nobody knew the name of the stolid girl in our class until the last day of school.

3. hypnotized: capture the whole attention (of someone); fascinate
     The pianist at the mall hypnotized me and I lost track of time.

4. suspended: temporarily prevent from continuing or bring in force or effect
     Me being ill suspended me from playing well at the football game.

5. transform: make a thorough or dramatic change in the form, appearance, or character of
     She was transformed by the makeup she used during the play and was almost unrecognizable.

6. accuse: charge someone with an offense or crime
     I was accused of setting my cousin's speakers on fire, so I had to replace them.

7. anticipate: regard as probable; expect or predict
     The 49ers anticipated a win against the Cowboys this Sunday, but they lost; should I be surprised?

8. fringe: not part of the mainstream; unconventional, peripheral, or extreme
     She listened to fringe music while doodling on her notebook in my pre-calculus class on Friday.

9. melancholy: sad and pensive, typically with no obvious cause
     She always seems to feel a little melancholy and no one knows why.

10. earnestly: showing depth and sincerity of feeling
     I earnestly asked him if he felt okay and if there was anything I could do to make him happy.

11. dissolve: close down or dismiss (an assembly or official body)
     The assembly was dissolved because of the lack of enthusiasm of its leader.

12. aggravate: annoy or exasperate (someone), especially persistently
     My little sister would not stop aggravating me when I was sick, so I "accidentally" slammed my bedroom door in her face.

13. illuminate: help to clarify or explain (a subject or matter)
     Instead of illuminating the audience on his views, Donald Trump confused them even more.

14. capillary: a tube that has an internal diameter of hairlike thinness
     Her pen worked because of capillary action, which allowed the ink to flow through the pen easily.

15. proboscis: the nose of a mammal, especially when it is long and mobile, such as the trunk of an elephant or the snout of a tapir
     The proboscis monkey's nose reminds me of Squidward's nose...


Image result for proboscis

                                         Image result for squidward


Sooooonnnnnggggg: Rice Rain by Cashmere Cat (this doesn't relate to the post; it's just a song I'm enjoying at the moment)

Comments

  1. why do you have to roast poor squidward.... sad sad sad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fahrenheit 451: Questions I Should Be Able to Answer

A Hug is Nearly a Gun Spelled Backwards