🐾 Designing for the Dark Side: Ideas for a Pioneer Valley Classroom 🐾

Remember how at the beginning of the year, DP referred to our room as a shoebox? Basically, in this post, I'm going to be designing a PV shoebox :p



As most of you already know, a while back, I posted my ideas on how to decorate our classroom and really make it our own. A teacher from PV (if you're reading this, hello! How are you? :p) saw that post and asked if I would help design his classroom and the creative person in me began bouncing off the walls. After a lot of investigating, I came up with a few simple ideas. All of my ideas are based off of very little knowledge, therefore these ideas are pretty simple. For my SM classmates, if you like any of the ideas presented in the post, let me know and maybe we can incorporate them into our classroom design, which I will address at the end of the post. 

One thing I noticed as I was looking through Mr. Grimm's (the PV teacher's) blog is that he teaches a lot of subjects: Job Prep, Health, and English. This made coming up with something a little more difficult, but at the same time, a little more fun; there is so much I can include! :) Based on the subjects he teaches, I came up with this idea. This idea was based off a drawing I drew a few years ago. I also drew something similar last year for my Spanish project, so believe me when I say that this will look dope on a wall. On one wall, I was thinking of splitting it up into three sections, one per subject. In each section, I was thinking of painting a silhouette of a person and making it black (because it goes well with everything, but other colors would work well too) and around the silhouette, drawing things or cutting out pictures of things relating to that specific subject. Here's a picture of my Spanish project from last year. The general idea is the same; for my Spanish project, I drew things relating to me, but for the room, it'd be things relating to a specific subject, depending on the section of the wall. 


I high key hate the fact it's sideways, but you get the idea. It'd be this times 3, with each silhouette relating to a different subject. The silhouette I drew here is a female silhouette, but a male silhouette would look just as nice. The things relating to the subject could be in the silhouette itself or around it. In this case, the things relating to me are inside the silhouette and the background is just a random brick wall. It would also be the other way around; the things relating to the subject could be around the silhouette and the silhouette itself could be black or any other color/pattern.

The second idea is the one I'm most excited about because it's really really simple, but yet so cool in my opinion. I want to incorporate the school mascot on the wall. This is actually the first idea that came to mind when I saw pictures of Mr. Grimm's classroom. I was thinking of painting a panther's paw on the wall and in the paw itself, have pictures of classroom activities and of students themselves. Like a collage! Like the previous idea, this can kinda work both ways; the collage can be outside the paw and the paw itself can be black, or the collage can be in the paw and the area outside the paw can be black. The size of the paw would depend on the available space, and if there's enough space on the wall, there can be more than one paw. 

I think that as a student, it's important to know who your teacher is. If a teacher is willing to open up just a littttttle bit, it can make a huge difference. For me personally, if a teacher is willing to open up and share a little bit of his/her interests, it makes me feel a lot more comfortable, especially if we share similar interests. As I was looking at pictures of the classroom, two things caught my eye: band posters and bikes. Just by seeing those two objects, I feel like I already know a little bit more about Mr. Grimm, even though we've never talked. Obtaining posters of bands such as Led Zeppelin, The Ramones, and The Rolling Stones can't be that hard... right? And getting wheels of broken bikes also can't be that hard... right? Why not take those things and make the area by Mr. Grimm's desk a little more... personal (I didn't know what word to use here cx)? The section of the room where Mr. Grimm's desk is can have a BUNCH of band posters and bike wheels. Since his desk is in a corner, each adjacent (is that even the right word???) side can be covered in either bike wheels or band posters. In the pictures, the band posters look like they're part of the timeline on the wall, but still; I think it'd be cool if Mr. Grimm's little corner became a little more personal, so if he doesn't like the bands on the posters in the room, he can add posters of whatever else he likes. It'll give students a glimpse into the life of their teacher, ya dig?

Honestly, from the pictures I saw of the classroom, there is already a lot going on and I don't wanna take away from the things that are already there, such as the timeline. Like I stated earlier, this is based off of very little knowledge, but hopefully y'all like these ideas (Mr. Grimm especially, if you're reading this). If I get the time, I will make sketches of designs for this classroom and our classroom and post them to my blog.

ATTENTION PEEPS. We have the hard part done; coming up with ideas for the classroom. But these ideas will go nowhere if we don't actually get working on painting and gathering materials for the classroom. CerenityCayla, and I came up with the idea of having a class fund. Everyone would pitch in a little moolah to help get the necessary supplies to transform the classroom. Off the top of my head, here's a quick list of things we'll need:
  • Paper to cover all the walls
  • A SHIT ton of paint in a SHIT ton of colors
  • Paint brushes, sponges, etc.
  • Spray paint (if we're still planning on doing a graffiti wall)
All of that will prove costly. We'll also need people willing to come in at lunch and perhaps after school to help painting. Ideally, this project would be done by late January at the latest. If anyone is interested, let me know :)

Sooooonnnnnggggg(s): Paint It, Black by The Rolling Stones and Panda by Desiigner. Paint It, Black is one of my favorite songs and one of the first things I noticed about Mr. Grimm's classroom was the poster of The Rolling Stones. As for the second song... y'all have no idea how many times I misspelled the word design just now. I happened to spell it with two I's more than once as I was typing this post, which reminded me of Panda. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fahrenheit 451: Questions I Should Be Able to Answer

What Am I Planning? 👀

An Appreciative Post