DP Told Us to Write, So Here's Some Writing

The course blog said to write a vignette in time. According to Wikipedia, a vignette is "a short impressionistic scene that focuses on one moment or character and gives a trenchant impression about that character, an idea, setting, and/or object. It's a short, descriptive passage that's more about evoking meaning through imagery than it is about the plot." So, what I got from this is that it's basically a short story that more or less just describes something rather than focuses on rising action and climaxes and stuff. Challenge accepted.

I often find myself thinking back to the time when I first held an instrument. I remember being in the school library, where band was held, sitting alongside fifteen or so 8-year-olds like me. My hands trembled so violently when I held my clarinet that I damn near almost dropped it. I was somehow able to pull myself together and I managed to play a rather ugly note on my mouthpiece. I got home that day and furiously wrestled with the notes to Mary Had a Little Lamb for about two hours, and I trained my fingers to play parts of a basic scale. A few years and many concerts later, I ditched the clarinet and picked up a trumpet, my initial experience being almost the same. My fingers were trained to play a completely different instrument, which led to more wrestling; that time, it was an inexperienced trumpet player with an experienced clarinetist. Eventually, I retrained my fingers to play the brass instrument that stole my heart, and through hours and hours of tedious work and endless practicing, I was able to successfully play concerts with a trumpet (and by successfully, I mean well enough to the point where people's ears weren't bleeding). Many years have passed since then, but who knew that those experiences would lead me to where I am today, painting music on silence's canvas.

Sooooonnnnnggggg: Eye of the Tiger by Survivor. I probably would've needed this song when I was thinking about giving up on learning how to play music cx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fahrenheit 451: Questions I Should Be Able to Answer

What Am I Planning? 👀

An Appreciative Post