Emerson Said It!

Yesterday, we had a Socratic Seminar and we discussed the essay "Self-Reliance" by Ralph Waldo Emerson. I learned a lot about what other people got from the essay and how my colleagues were affected by "Self-Reliance". I also learned that I'm not the only one who thinks that Emerson is full of shit :)))))))))))))))

Many quotes from the essay came up in the discussion and although I wasn't moved by the whole essay, some of the quotes I read, or rather heard, were actually pretty cool. Here are five that got me feeling some type of way

1. "What I must do is all that concerns me." This is probably the one that spoke to me the most because it's something we should all be able to relate to or agree with. What we do is all that should matter to us. Why should we care about what other people are doing? Why worry about other people when we have ourselves to worry about? Nobody should care about what we do and how we choose to live our lives.... I mean, unless it's directly affecting other people. 

2. "In every work of genius, we recognize our own rejected thoughts." This is probably the most relatable one. I'll explain this in terms of music since that's what this quote made me think about. We all have that one song in our music library that just makes us think, "Damn... this song literally describes my current situation perfectly" or "Wow, this artist actually gets what I'm going through." Or maybe we have that one song that makes us say "This exactly how I feel." For me, for example, that song is probably Scars to Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara. Songs are works of genius because they all recognize the thoughts that we're too scared to share with the world. Even Gangnam Style recognized someone's rejected thoughts somewhere in the world. Music recognizes the thoughts that aren't the happiest or the best and makes them beautiful.

3. "Nothing can bring you peace but yourself." I can't remember who said this in class, but when explaining this quote, this person said that at the end of the day, all we have is ourselves and I couldn't agree more. People will come and go in life; some may stay longer than others. The only person that'll pick you up when you fall is yourself; you just have to want to get up. We have to love ourselves, which is hard for some people, but it's not impossible. 

4. "For nonconformity, the world whips you with its displeasure." This one didn't come up during the seminar, but it's still a quote that was interesting to me. Our society is kinda like a marching band; everyone is the same. We all walk the same way, look the same, and march to the same drum. When someone steps out of line, they get scolded by society. Whenever we decide to be ourselves and trust ourselves, we get shut down. Why?

5. "The world has been instructed by its kings..." Here, the kings are the people who are considered to be the top. They are the people who live these lavish lifestyles and set all these trends that we follow. The world is ruled by these trends and ideals that the 'kings' of today's society imply are what everyone should be doing and following. It happened 175 years ago and it's still happening today.



A question for my classmates: What do y'all think about the Spotify playlist idea? Do you think it's more convenient to go that route than make a CD? 

Another question for my peeps who are taking APUSH: Do you think it'll be useful if we make a Mind Map to study for APUSH exams? Because let's be honest; no one has time to make a study group every single damn day like our teacher expects. We have an exam coming up next week.... maybe making a Mind Map will be better than doing study groups?



Sooooonnnnnggggg: The Run and Go by Twenty One Pilots; I've been listening to Vessel (a TOP album) a lot lately :p

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fahrenheit 451: Questions I Should Be Able to Answer

A Hug is Nearly a Gun Spelled Backwards

Vocabulary #5