UGH! My Final Essay

So... yeah. Our final essay was something else..... I didn't get time to finish. I had so much left to write. So RIP me.

I feel like I almost needed to write a pre-write for my pre-write for my pre-write. Once I got started, I kinda just wrote what came to mind. I was on a roll until the bell rang. I ended in a really awkward spot, btw; it wasn't in the middle of a sentence, but I was about to charm DP (I guess???) with my skillz. The frustration was real.

Here is my essay. I will continue where I left off. I am proofreading as I go, because as I was looking at my essay, I realized I made sooooooo many fucking errors. Oops:

     I could write the intro paragraph of this essay the way most AP English students would, but I'd rather not. I realize that I'll have to do this on the AP exam, but to calm my nerves, I'd rather use charm. Hey! How are you? Like I once said at the beginning of one of my blog posts, buckle your seatbelt because I am about to take you on a rollercoaster of thought. This should be fun...
     "A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it from going to sleep." The message author Salman Rushdie was trying to get across is that writing has the power to impact the world greatly. I feel like this quote applies to all literature, not just poetry. Writing makes it possible to communicate thoughts that are frowned upon on. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe talked about the horrors of slave life and helped fuel the Civil War. The History of Standard Oil by Ida Tarbell brought down an oil empire. Talk about change! Rushdie used a confident tone when saying that quote, and I think it's because when we look back in time, it's clear that writing has caused change. Every single thing we read or write has an impact: some writing causes change on a large scale while some writing simply twists the kaleidoscope behind our eyes (Twenty One Pilots reference!) and makes us see the world just a little bit differently.
     On one hand, we have a poet, whose job is to create change, and on the other hand, we have a student, whose job is to follow orders. Let me explain this in terms of Emerson and "On Self Reliance." We have the self-reliant person, the poet, on one hand, and on the other, we have the not self-reliant person, the student. Students are trained at a young age to follow instructions. To please their teachers & their parents. Students are scared to be self-reliant because they're scared of fucking up. "What if I get a C on my test? What if my parents don't like what I wanna do for my project?" That fear is paralyzing. I can assure you the thirty-something people in this class are scared of failing this exam and having their grade go down. That fear stops us from writing what we wanna write. Everything has to be formatted a certain way. Everything has to be perfect. Poets and writers don't have to worry about that. Take E.E. Cummings (or, should I say, e.e. cummings) who wrote poetry with grammar that would make English teachers cringe. He wrote in a way that was so original and different, which caused a significant change. Take Edgar Allan Poe, who wrote about such dark topics - topics that most people during his time wouldn't write about. Poets are self-reliant because they don't look for motivation or inspiration outside; they find it within themselves. Students look for extrinsic motivation, like grades and extra credit, and often times are so caught up pleasing the people around them that they forget to please themselves.

(Here is approximately where the roller coaster broke down because the bell rang. Time to continue!)

     I can finish this essay listing everything I've learned about English and literary devices, but no. What I've learned during these past few months goes beyond English. It goes beyond logical fallacies, vocabulary, and satire. We've all grown up accustomed to sitting at a desk for seven to eight hours a day, taking notes while teachers blabber on about the importance of this and the importance of that. I had no idea there was a world of learning outside of that. Our class is self-taught; we decide what's important to us. We decide what we do. DP is only there to guide us. Classes like this one only come around once in a lifetime. Blogging has taught me a plethora of things about myself and my classmates. I feel connected to each and every person in our class, and that's because we've created a network of communication through blogging. Everyone has grown so much; we started off in August, skeptical about the class. As weeks went by, everything became a routine (but not the usual routine that makes you wanna rip your hair out); it became easier for everyone to speak up and run the class. Blogging has been a journey for me and it has taught me a lot about myself as well. I never considered myself a good writer. I still don't. But seeing the support this blog has received has been absolutely amazing. 5'2 and Some Change started off as an assignment, but now it's a part of me. It's where I share my thoughts. It's where I communicate with my AP classmates and anyone else who reads this blog. A disgruntled cynic (as Dr. Preston once called me) was introduced to blogging and she never turned back. She was forced to step out of her comfort zone, and now she knows no limits. This AP English journey we're on is only starting; I can't wait to see what the future has in store for our class.

Sooooonnnnngggggsssss: Stronger by Kanye West and UGH! by The 1975

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hug is Nearly a Gun Spelled Backwards

Fahrenheit 451: Questions I Should Be Able to Answer

Vocabulary #5