A Modernist Cookie?

In all honesty, I took inspiration from Prufrock. I couldn't write a short story, and poetry seemed like the next logical step. Here's a blurb I read during class that helped guide me; the blurb is from a page called Cliffs Notes.

"Modernist literature was a predominantly English genre of fiction writing, popular from roughly the 1910s into the 1960s. Modernist literature came into its own due to increasing industrialization and globalization. New technology and the horrifying events of both World Wars (but specifically World War I) made many people question the future of humanity: What was becoming of the world?
Writers reacted to this question by turning toward Modernist sentiments. Gone was the Romantic period that focused on nature and being. Modernist fiction spoke of the inner self and consciousness. Instead of progress, the Modernist writer saw a decline of civilization. Instead of new technology, the Modernist writer saw cold machinery and increased capitalism, which alienated the individual and led to loneliness. (Sounds like the same arguments you hear about the Internet age, doesn't it?)"

What I got from this blurb is that Modernist literature speaks of the inner self. And a decline in civilization.

Of course, I drew some inspiration from Prufrock, but not a ton. I tried using some of the same literary techniques he did, such as repetition and personification and schtuff.

I hate talking about my writing SO SO MUCH, but I must do it anyway in order to complete this assignment.

ALRIGHT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. I wrote a poem called And the Cookie Crumbled... earlier today, which is somewhat modernist. The poem is a reflection of how I felt at one point in time; I wanted happiness, but I felt like I kept losing hope and happiness became even harder to find. So the poem is about my inner self, in a way. I am lonely in the poem, another trait of some modernist pieces of literature. I ask myself why the world is the way it is at one point as well.

As for literary devices, I used personification a few times and repetition. Feel free to analyze my poem more if y'all would like.

Can any of you guess why I kept repeating "And the cookie crumbled..."? ;)

Sooooonnnnnggggg: ***Flawless by Beyonce; Happy International Women's Day! To all women out there, keep slaying <3


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hug is Nearly a Gun Spelled Backwards

Fahrenheit 451: Questions I Should Be Able to Answer

Vocabulary #5