What I See in Literature: Prufrock

I am getting sick again, so R.I.P. me :)))))))

ANYWAY, let's talk literature. Specifically, Prufrock's poem "The Love Song"

Before I get into the examples of imagery, it is important to discuss the themes of the poem. One theme is death. Death shows up in one of my examples, but one thing I noticed while reading the poem is that the narrator is getting older and he's afraid of death. I almost feel like death is a bigger theme than love, which is sketchy because the poem is called "The LOVE Song"; I almost feel like Prufrock should've named it "The Death Song" or something.

Here are examples of imagery I found in the poem:
1. "When the evening is spread out against the sky/ Like a patient etherized upon the table"- Clearly, this is a simile; Prufrock is comparing the evening to a patient. This sorta connects to death? If a patient is etherized, one can assume that a. the patient is in a lot of pain of some sort or will be in a lot of pain of some sort or b. the patient is terribly ill; both of those things can lead to death.

2. "Streets that follow like a tedious argument..."- Yet another simile. Streets are being compared to an argument; both drag on and on, and I think that's what Prufrock means when he uses the word follow. I misinterpreted it at first and thought it was an example of personification. But then again, poetry should be open to interpretation, so maybe it is personification? Hmmm...

3. "Yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-panes..."- Now this is personification.... and that's about all I have to say about that...

4. "I have seen the eternal footman hold my coat and snicker"- THIS IS PERSONIFICATION. If we analyze the poem a wee bit, then we realize that the footman is death. Death is being given human qualities like the ability to hold stuff and snicker.

Sooooonnnnnggggg: Death of a Bachelor by Panic! At The Disco

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hug is Nearly a Gun Spelled Backwards

Fahrenheit 451: Questions I Should Be Able to Answer

Vocabulary #5